Beware of Being Cheated at Petrol Pumps!
There are quite a few ways petrol pumps can cheat you. Often, what we do is drive to a fuel station and ask for petrol worth Rs. 500 or any similar round off amount. Guess what? The staff might have already manipulated the machine and thus, you are duped. However, by no means can we conclude that every petrol pump is fraudulent in nature. However, there are many who indulge in such malpractices to deceive customers.
There are Ways in Which You Can Avoid Falling into The Trap
1. Fill petrol from different petrol pumps initially. You can then make an average and figure out which stations gave less fuel. This can be understood by your car’s fuel performance.
2. Once you know how much distance your car travels at a specific amount of money, you can now fix a station.
3. Avoid asking for petrol worth of any round figure. Rather, ask for something like Rs. 555 or Rs. 778. The systems cannot be manipulated according to these figures.
4. Make sure the system is reset.
5. It is advisable to get down from the car and talk to the staff, maintaining eye contact.
6. Often it so happens that when one staff is filling fuel, another comes to distract you by asking about payment method or other irrelevant queries. Don’t let them bother you with such tricks.
7. Ask the staff to leave the nozzle once the fuel filling process has begun.
8. Once the filling is complete, make sure that staff doesn’t remove the nozzle immediately as there is a residue left for which you have paid. Waiting for sometime lets the last drop get into the car tank.
Also Check : How to Avoid Being Duped While Selling Your Car
9. It is wiser to pay through card as you can pay the exact amount. We’ll tell you why. If you fill the tank to the full, often the amount comes to something like Rs. 1813.53. The staff asks if he should round it off to Rs. 1820. Never get into this trap. Once the system gets stopped, there’s no way the machine can be started without resetting. So in way you lose money.
Also Check : How to Protect Your Car in Winter
10. Take care to place your car at a distance from the system. If the pipe is stretched to the maximum, there will be no residue left after fuel filing is complete.